Monday, July 7, 2008

Come clean

I'm always trying to get a look in other people's sketchbooks. It's customary to say something kind of self-effacing when you hand your book over to a drawer you respect, such as "Oh, there's nothing so interesting in there." or "Do pardon all the swearing." A lot of times, though, people will warn me that their book is "messy." Some of these people have already seen my book and know that actual, physical scraps of garbage occasionally fall out of it!



Yesterday someone told me that they often started something in their sketchbook but would then erase it. That was pretty much the craziest thing I'd ever heard. Somewhere along the way everyone must have got the notion that their sketchbooks are supposed to be very tidy and contain only good ideas. I don't think I'd ever fill a book if I had those kinds of rules. Isn't this supposed to be fun?




Just for fun, here's some objects that fell out during the scanning process.


1 comment:

  1. Hey now, we can't all be 'advanced illustrators'.
    I started using a ballpoint pen awhile ago though (to be more like james jean, *swoon*) which helped a lot with that sort of thing, and even though I've gone back to pencil (can't find the pen I like anymore) I only erase things a little bit.
    But hey, if you are in to that sort of thing, I posted my whole last sketchbook on my lifejournal here and here
    and there are things from my new one scattered about.
    And to be fair mine is a bit of a mess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by the Drawsmall blog. Lay some comments on me!